The Tide is Turning!
What is 33 Sixty?
It is an annual international leadership programme organised by Common Purpose and the Common Wealth. 100 youths from 21 countries will gather at Singapore from 24-28 Oct to exchange ideas on world issues.
Why is 33 Sixty special and different from mock UN/ other conferences?
The highlight of programme is to develop the ability and intelligence of youths in cross-boundary collaboration which is increasingly important in future. Participants come from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds and all walks of life, ranging from students to young working professionals.
We, as Hong Kong representatives, will highlight the following three issues:
1. The disparity between rich and poor in the world and how to improve employability by knowledge transfer and cultural diversity.
- Half of the global population live in areas with 80% global GDP
- Hong Kong is one of the places having widest wealth gap with a Gini Coefficient of 53.7
2. How even a small city like Hong Kong can provide complex medical procedures supported by public healthcare to citizens of all cultural, economic and social backgrounds and hence contribute our experience to world public health system
- Hong Kong is ranked first in best public health system in world
3. The dangers of antibiotic resistance as a result of complacency, poverty and poor access to healthcare services.
- Most of the common diseases in developing countries are resistant to antibiotics now
- Millions of people die from antibiotic resistance each year
- Extra 20 billion USD is spent on patients with antibiotic resistance every year