Help me make my lifelong dream come true!
First off, I want to thank everyone who donates or is simply here for the read, I appreciate each and every one of you!
Now if you know me, it comes as no surprise that this trip is on my radar. Since I can remember, animals have been my entire life, with a special affinity for big cats. Tigers were always my favorite, and I promised myself that one day I would work with them. As with many dreams, like meeting role models you idolized or getting that dream job you thought of as kid, times change, people grow and pass, and you start to lose sight of those dreams that kept you up at night. It frightens me to know that many of my goals as a child are now impossible, but this dream still rings true. I CAN do this, I WILL do this, I just HAVE to!
I am currently going to school at Penn Foster to be a Veterinary Technician, but I am switching my degree to wildlife rehabilitator once I find a closer school. So, as you can see this trip is right up my alley and exactly the experience I need to pursue the field I love!
I currently run my own at home rescue and have rescued everything from pitbulls to squirrels. I love any and all animals so to work with exotic animals more closely is an opportunity I knew I could not pass up!
To reach this dream, I have a few goals I need to accomplish in the next year:
- Paying for the trip and volunteer aspect (2 weeks will be $1,525)
- Included in my trip package I will have staff there to greet me and transport me to and from the airport in South Africa
- 3 meals a day provided by staff
- A room with 2-6 other volunteers
- 1 free load of laundry each week
- Getting my passport renewed.
- Getting an up to date tetanus shot
- Gathering all the gear I will need for the trip:
- Hiking boots
- Large durable backpack
- Swimsuit and sunblock
- T-shirts, shorts and flip flops are a must!
- Rain boots and a rain coat are recommended
- Personal items such as toiletries
- Flashlight and batteries
- Insect repellent, especially for mosquitos
- Medical aid or insurance card
- Personal medication
- Headache tablets
- Antiseptic ointment
- Laptop, cell phone, and other electronics if desired
- Extra spending money (cash or debit/credit card) for souvenirs and additional food, drinks, or outings
- Construction of pools, perches, huts, and toys for animals
- Building a shaded lookout to view our vultures feeding
- Maintaining of roads (filling, scraping, leveling)
- Removal of intruder plants and alien species of plants
- Cutting grass and overall maintenance in the animal enclosures
- Trimming or planting of trees
- Working with the animals that we use for filming
- Taking the lions out for walks
- Feeding all animals
- Caring for and rehabilitating sick and injured animals
- Help with the fencing project to provide more grazing for the animals
To keep up with all the volunteers and big cats my first step is getting in better shape...we all know how well I handle the heat! Simple steps were taken today like eating right and portion control...I feel great but man am I HUNGRY lol :)
Edit Campaign Update
$ 2,800 USDGoal Amount
Luggage and Equipment
Passport/ Visa/ Residence Permit
Local Travel Expenses
Include FundMyTravel Site Fees
I will send you a postcard from South Africa when I get there thanking you for your donation!
I will send a personal video message thanking you for your donation. I will also send you a postcard from South Africa
I will include all other gifts, as well as a small souvenir from my travels there