Setting Up an Account and Campaign Page
Who can create an account on FundMyTravel?
- Any motivated individual or group, pursuing a legitimate meaningful travel experience in the near future may register an account with FundMyTravel, and then launch a fundraising campaign.
- To get started, users have the option to register with FundMyTravel by sync-ing their Facebook account, or by completing our registration process with a valid email address.
How do I launch a fundraising page?
- Once you have a registered account with FundMyTravel, it’s important to first complete your profile section with a photo, description and social media links. Then it’s time to create your campaign page!
- To create a campaign page, US users will need a registered WePay account and international users will need a registered PayPal account.
- PayPal and WePay are referred to as your payment processors and you will need to connect this payment processor account with your campaign page, in order to launch and receive donations.
- Simply click on the Create a Campaign button. We will walk you through the three step campaign creation form and help you fill out all of the information you need, to launch your fundraising page!
How should I calculate my fundraising goal?
- FundMyTravel offers a unique campaign calculator to help you figure out your goal amount. These expenses are then broken down on your campaign page, in a way that is easy for your donors to read.
- Consider your basic needs and their costs first: airfare, visa, passport, materials for community service or study, accommodation, and any program fees associated with your journey.
- Once you have designated your goal amount during the campaign creation process, this amount cannot be changed, after launching your campaign page.
- Be sure to plan out and decide on a campaign goal amount ahead of time. Consider: how long you will be fundraising, what is a reasonable amount to request based on this time frame and your needs. Remember that it is better to set a more moderate goal amount than one which is too large.
- Over-reaching or exceptionally large campaign goals can be intimidating for potential donors and discourage them from giving.
- You will be able to continue receiving funds for as long as your campaign page is open, even once your goal amount is reached. These additional funds will be reflected on your campaign progress bar, as exceeding your goal amount. This kind of progress is exciting and motivating for donors.
- Some of the most successful campaigns on FundMyTravel have set goal amounts varying between $300- $10,000.00, and exceeded their goals.
- Users are permitted and encouraged to factor the processing and administrative fees of the website into their campaign goal amount.
Is there a time limit required for each fundraising campaign?
- All fundraising pages are restricted to a maximum length of 120 days (roughly 4 months). Campaigns can be shorter than 120 days, but it is important to plan your fundraising strategy, according to the timeline designated to your campaign page, and your travel departure date.
- Your campaign will begin as soon as you click “launch campaign,” once you have completed the campaign creation process.
- FundMyTravel recommends that users plan to run their fundraising campaigns well ahead of their actual travel date, to assure enough time for the collection of funds prior to departing for their meaningful travel experience.
Can I change my campaign end date?
- No, the campaign end date becomes final, once the campaign is “launched”, so make sure that you have selected a timeframe which provides ample time to fundraise for your meaningful travel experience.
Can I change my goal amount once launched?
- No, the campaign goal amount becomes final, once the campaign is “launched”, so be considerate of how many costs you choose to include on your Campaign Calculator, during the campaign creation process.
- It is best to have a goal amount, which is lower, as opposed to higher than necessary, because donors are more inclined to contribute to a reasonably budgeted goal amount than one that is too large.
Can a campaign page be edited after launch?
- Yes, there are specific elements of the campaign page, which can be edited post launch. These include: Title, Travel Destination, Campaign Vanity URL, Travel Categories, Campaign Description, Photo and Video Uploads, Updates Section, and Online Links.
- The elements, which cannot be changed once the campaign page is launched include: the Campaign Calculator, Total Goal Amount and the Campaign End Date.
How can I share my Travel Campaign through social networking sites?
- You may share your page through different social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and more, by using the social media and sharing buttons located on the main campaign page, under your image/video area, or through the Updates section.
- For best donation results, all social media sharing should be complemented with personalized outreach through Email and other Inbox messaging. This conveys a more meaningful request to the donor and moves them to contribute, more than a mass mailing or general status notification will.
Can a fundraising campaign be deleted?
- Once a campaign has been launched and/or donations have been contributed, the campaign page cannot be deleted or closed, prior to its end date.
- If you have a special request and reason for the cancellation of your campaign page, please contact email@example.com. We will consider archiving your campaign page, based on the specific scenario at hand and the reason for your request.
- When submitting any requests, be sure to include the Title of your campaign page and the reason for your cancelation request.
- If your campaign is deemed eligible for cancellation and if donations have already been received, you are responsible for contacting all contributors to your campaign about the change and refunding all relevant donations that have been collected to your payment processor account.
- In the case that a campaign is cancelled and donations are to be refunded, the FundMyTravel administrative fee and your payment processor’s fees may not be refundable.
- Please consult the FundMyTravel Terms of Service for further details as agreed to, by all campaigners and donors, regarding refund policies and processes.
Can I run more than one campaign at the same time?
- While users of FundMyTravel are capable of running more than one campaign at the same time, it is discouraged as this is proven to be an ineffective and poor strategy in terms of reaching campaign success.
- Splitting your campaign efforts into several online ventures will only divide your attention and is likely to confuse your supporting community.
- The ideal scenario is to run only one campaign at a time, market this single campaign through multiple channels and efforts, then combine this online campaign with offline fundraising efforts as well, to promote further awareness of your meaningful travel plans and online project.
Can I still use FundMyTravel even if I am not from the US?
- Yes, FundMyTravel is accessible to international users, which the payment processor PayPal serves. Be sure to register a PayPal account that is Premium and Verified.
- PayPal currencies accepted on FundMyTravel include: US Dollar, Australian Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Pound Sterling and the Euro.
- Be sure to indicate your chosen currency on your PayPal account settings.
What if I don’t reach my goal?
- FundMyTravel campaign pages are developed around the “flexible funding” model. This means that campaigners keep what they raise, whether they reach their total amount goal or only a portion of it.
- Consider what factors contributed to your goal not being met and make a note of these lessons learned for the next time you fundraise. You are always welcome back to create another campaign page but be sure to do some things differently the next time; use all of the Resources from FundMyTravel, like the Fundraiser’s Toolkit and be sure to stay engaged throughout your entire campaign, with frequent communication to your donors.
How do I get my campaign page to be featured on your website?
- Featured Campaigns are chosen based on specific criteria for eligibility. To have your campaign page featured, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org with your request but be sure that your campaign page is eligible first.
- Criteria for featured campaign pages include but are not limited to: a completed campaign page and profile section with all fields filled out, social media links attached, photos and/or video uploaded, with a clear campaign description, explaining the purpose and value of your meaningful travel experience. The campaign should also have 25% of its goal amount raised and include the use of its Updates section, with clear efforts to engage donors, reflected in the number of social media shares, and frequency of Updates, posted.
What if I reach my campaign goal before the deadline?
- Congratulations on your success and continue raising more funds until your campaign end date. You are always able to exceed the goal amount designated to your campaign page.
- Use the Updates section to inform your campaign viewers that you have reached your goal with their help and will continue raising funds, with a new goal in mind. Indicate this new goal amount and share the Update with your networks using the social media buttons, directly within your Updates section.
- Continue outreach to personal and extended networks to inform them of your progress, as well as what you will use the additional funds for, during your travels.
Can campaigns exceed their initial goal amount?
- Yes. Even though the goal amount cannot be changed after launch, the campaign page is still capable of accepting donations, even once the goal amount has been reached.
What if my campaign ends and I want to continue fundraising?
- You can always create a new Travel Campaign. Since you already have a registered account with FundMyTravel, all you need to do is go through the "Create a Campaign" form once more, develop a new campaign page with a unique description and video upload, then keep it active and frequently Updated, so more people can get involved and support your meaningful travel plans.
I’m new to fundraising and I’m not so sure how to run an online campaign. Can you help me?
- Definitely. Check out the Resources section at the top of our website. Select the Fundraiser’s Toolkit that we’ve put together, just for this purpose. There you will find a guide to help you make the most of FundMyTravel’s platform and better understand how fundraising - online or offline - really works.
- The toolkit contains crowdfunding tips, creative ideas and unique strategies to help you reach your goal amount as effectively as possible. You can have a look at our Fundraiser’s Toolkit now to enhance your campaign success odds.
Can I change my Profile Name?
- Yes, just log into your account, access your Profile page and use the edit function to change your profile name.
- Keep in mind that the more complete and consistent your profile section remains from the start, the more accountable and trustworthy your page appears to potential donors.
Can I change the email address associated with the account?
- No, your registered email address will be used by FundMyTravel to send updates, notifications and other messages pertinent to your account and campaign. The email you have registered will be used throughout the entire campaign period.
I forgot my password, what should I do?
- Simply click on the “Forgot Password” link on the log-in window. A temporary password will be sent to the email address, which you have registered with FundMyTravel.
- Use this temporary password to log-in to your FundMyTravel account and be sure to change it to a new and secure password which you will remember, once you are logged-in.
I need to postpone my travel plans. How can I cancel my current campaign page with FundMyTravel?
- You need to send an email to email@example.com explaining the reason for your cancellation request. Be sure to include the title of your campaign and remember to review the Terms of Service agreed to, upon launching your FundMyTravel Campaign.
- You are responsible for refunding any and all donations that have been collected to your WePay or PayPal account. However, both donor and campaigner acknowledge that the FundMyTravel administrative fee and your payment processor’s transaction fees may be non-refundable, in which case you are only responsible for refunding all donations, less processing and administrative fees.
Do I need to complete my Profile on FundMyTravel?
- Yes. While your campaign page will still function with a less complete profile section, the success rate of campaigns with incomplete profile sections is significantly less. Incomplete profiles make a campaign page appear less trustworthy.
- From the donor’s perspective, if a campaigner cannot take the time to complete their profile section then the donor may question why it is worth their own time and investment, to support this campaign page.
- To increase your success odds with a completed profile section, be sure to include a profile photo, location of origin, and links to your social media channels, including any blogs you may have or plan to keep during your meaningful travel experience.
What are FundMyTravel’s administrative fees?
- While it is free to create an account on FundMyTravel and even to launch a campaign page, once a campaign begins receiving donations, FundMyTravel remits 5% of each donation, (e.g. when a donation of $10 is made, 50 cents from this donation is sent to FundMyTravel.).
Why does FundMyTravel charge an administrative fee?
- FundMyTravel was built to provide a unique crowdfunding platform along with the appropriate user support services, to make meaningful travel more accessible through fundraising. In order to keep the fundraising activity on our site smooth, easy and fun, our services require an experienced team of developers, designers, programmers, user support representatives and marketing managers.
- The administrative fee from FundMyTravel is used for making continuous developments, improvements, maintenance and hosting of the website, so that we can deliver a high functioning and quality controlled avenue for online fundraising. Not only that, but in order to host a successful crowdfunding site, it is essential to work with trusted payment processors. Collecting an administrative fee supports FundMyTravel’s own transaction costs, associated with using payment processors, as a business. This allows us to provide a better customer experience for our users and secure payment solutions through WePay and PayPal.
Do the payment processors charge any fees?
- WePay is the payment processor designated for users in the United States. WePay deducts 2.9% + .30 off of each donation that they process. For more information about WePay and its services, please visit their site here.
- PayPal is the payment processor designated for users located outside of the United States. PayPal deducts 3.9% + a specific amount of cents, based on currency, off of each donation they process, internationally. For more information about PayPal and its services, please visit their site here.
Managing Your Collected Funds
How do I receive the funds raised from my FundMyTravel campaign page?
- Upon creating your campaign, it was necessary to attach a payment processor account (WePay or PayPal.) This account collects all of the donation funds that come through your campaign page. These funds are directed to your payment processor account in real-time.
How do I withdraw my funds from the payment processor account?
- Depending on your payment processor (WePay or PayPal), the process for withdrawal will be slightly different. The most current information to address this question is available on your payment processor’s website. To view details about the withdrawal process on WePay, click here. To view details about the withdrawal process on PayPal, click here.
- Typically, once you log into your payment processor website/account, there is a function for you to “withdraw” the funds held in that account to your bank account. You can attach your bank account to the payment processor account simply by providing the requested details within your payment processor account settings.
- In Wepay, you will find the withdrawal function by clicking into your Settings gear in the upper right hand corner of your account page. From there, you can follow the steps to attach your bank account, if you have not done so already.
- In PayPal, you should find a “withdraw” section towards the top of your account page, once logged in. From there, you can follow the steps as prompted, to connect your bank account and withdraw the funds in your payment processor account to your bank account.
- Transferring funds from your payment processor account to your bank account may take 3-5 business days, so it is advised to attach your bank account with your payment processor at the start of your campaign and withdraw the funds according to your preferred timeline, with consideration for your travel dates kept in mind.
What if my campaign page doesn’t reach its funding goal?
- Whether you reach your goal amount or not, your collated funds are sent to your payment processor account in real time, so you will still receive any donations collected through your FundMyTravel campaign page, even if it does not reach its funding goal.
Where can I check the status of my funds?
- Just below the profile section on your main campaign page there is a section above the “fund campaign” button with three different status indicators, as well as a progress bar relating to your funds. The status indicators include: your goal amount, the amount you have raised and the relative percentage of your goal amount, which you have raised.
- Another space, which will be helpful for tracking your donations and the contact details for those who have contributed to your campaign page, is your payment processor account. You can log in and view the transactions or account statement on your payment processor to find details regarding the date, amount and source of your donations.
Where can I find a breakdown of how much has been donated to my campaign page and by whom?
- Each time a donation is made to your campaign page, it is posted with the donor’s name, in the Funder’s section on your campaign page. Simply click on the Funders tab at the top of your campaign page, below your Campaign Title and also see any messages that your funders left while donating.
One of my friends told me that they donated but it’s not showing up on my page. What can I do?
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the title of your campaign page to help us best assist you. Please include the name and email address of the donor, date when the donor contributed and the amount that they gave. Our tech team will then be able to check into any potential issues resulting in the donation not showing up on your Funder’s page and we will provide you with feedback about a resolution as soon as possible.
My page displays an error message when someone tries to donate. What can I do?
- There are occasional instances when a WePay or PayPal account will have verification or activation issues. In this case, FundMyTravel will send a message to the email address, which you have registered with us, that will contain the specific steps needed, to fix the issue. Once you follow these steps and resolve the error with your payment processor account, you will be able to accept donations on your campaign page.
How can I donate to a FundMyTravel campaign page?
- Access the campaign page that you would like to donate to via the link that you have been provided.
- You can also use the search function on our website and use the fundraiser’s last name or the campaign title as your search keywords. Then select the campaign page you are looking for from the search results.
- Once you are on the campaign page you wish to donate to, simply click on the bright blue “Fund Campaign” button and input the desired donation amount you wish to contribute.
- Continue to complete the donation form with your personal details and credit card information. Once your payment has been successfully processed, a confirmation message will be sent to the email address you provided, on the donation form.
- Your donation will also show on the campaign “Funders” Tab with the date and amount you contributed, along with any message you have left for the fundraiser.
Who can donate to a campaign?
- Anyone with a big heart and who owns a working Visa, Mastercard, Amex or Discover Card can donate to the fundraising campaigns on FundMyTravel. You can contribute on any open campaign page, just by using our simplified donation tool and your credit card.
- Please note that you do not need to create a WePay or PayPal account in order to make a donation on FundMyTravel.
Once I make a donation, when will my credit card be charged?
- Credit card transactions take less than a minute to process and campaigners on FundMyTravel keep whatever funds they raise, whether they reach their goal or not. This is called flexible funding.
- Because we work with a flexible/”keep what is raised” model, donation charges to your credit card occur in real-time.
- As long as the donation is processed successfully, the payment processor will charge your credit card straight away. The donation amount, less processing fees, will then be instantly deposited into the fundraiser’s payment processor account.
- For more information about associated fees, please see the section above labeled, Fees. You can also review the FundMyTravel Terms of Service for further donor/contributor information.
- Please note that it is expected and required for all users of FundMyTravel to read and agree to FundMyTravel’s Terms of Service, as transparency regarding our policies is very important to us.
Can I donate anonymously?
- Yes, FundMyTravel provides the option for your name to be hidden, should you wish for that information to remain undisclosed. Simply tick the “Hide my name” box, located to the right of the name section on your donation form.
Will my donation amount be reflected on the campaign page?
- Yes, the donation amount will be publicly displayed on the fundraiser's page. Even if you select for your name to be listed as anonymous, the donation amount will still be viewable by the public.
Can I donate by sending a check or cash by mail?
- At this point in time, only credit card payments can be accepted and processed, to then display on FundMyTravel campaign pages.
- Of course, it is possible and you have the option to send your contribution via standard mail, to a FundMyTravel campaigner, but these contributions must be addressed and sent specifically to the fundraiser and not to FundMyTravel.
- A campaigner can write an Update about offline donations, but these amounts will not be reflected in the online campaign’s progress bar.
Can I change my donation amount after it has been processed?
- All contributions are final and irreversible, once processed.
- As noted in our Terms of Service, donations are generally non-refundable unless there has been a technical error, campaign cancellation, or in the case that proof of unapproved credit card use has been provided, for dispute of the charge.
- FundMyTravel will review charge cancellations and refund requests on a case-by-case basis. They will be handled as appropriate and consistent with our Terms of Service.
Are donations refundable?
- All contributions and donations processed through FundMyTravel and the associated payment processors are final.
- Once WePay or PayPal has successfully processed the credit card charge, funds are instantly deposited into the campaigner’s account.
- For more information regarding refund policies, please review the FundMyTravel Terms of Service.
Do I need to claim my donations from FundMyTravel as income on my taxes?
- We at FundMyTravel are not tax professionals, therefore, we are not able to provide specific tax advice. However, most donations on FundMyTravel are considered to be a gift, which is not taxed as income in the US. This means that fundraisers shouldn't need to claim any donations received on FundMyTravel as income when filing taxes. Again, we are not tax professionals, and as each individual situation is different, we suggest funders contact a tax professional to verify this information.
I am located outside of the US. Can I still donate to a fundraising campaign?
- Absolutely, FundMyTravel proudly serves an international community. All you need to donate is a valid Visa, Mastercard, Amex or Discover credit card, so that you can contribute using our simplified donation form.
- Please note that donations in foreign currencies or contributed from international sources may be subject to international transaction fees. Please check with your bank to learn more about their fees.
What if I have questions or comments about a fundraiser’s campaign?
- If your question is specifically for the fundraiser, you can leave a message in the comments section of their campaign page.
- If you have a question related to the functions of FundMyTravel, which are not addressed on this page or within the FundMyTravel Terms of Service, you can write a message to email@example.com.
Do I need to have a WePay or PayPal account to be able to donate?
- No, the convenience of donating through FundMyTravel is that you don’t need to have an account with WePay or PayPal to be able to make a donation.
- All you need is to provide valid credit card detail and you’re good to go! Once the transaction is successfully processed, a confirmation email will be sent to your registered email address.
Do I need to be a member of FundMyTravel to be able to donate?
- No. You don’t need to create an account with FundMyTravel in order to contribute.
- Only users wishing to launch a fundraising campaign need to register an account with us.
What happens after I donate to a campaign?
- The amount you have donated and any message you left during the donation process will be reflected on the Funder’s Tab of the campaign page, to which you contributed. You should also receive a confirmation email from the payment processor, which will act as your payment receipt.
What if my payment gets declined?
- You will be notified right away if the payment processor declines your credit card. In this scenario, no amount will be debited from your credit card.
Where does the money go if the campaign goal is not reached?
- Whether the goal reached or not, all donations, less processing and administrative fees, collected will still be received into the fundraiser’s payment processor account.
Can I share the travel campaign page with my own networks, who may also be interested in donating?
- Please do! Sharing a campaign page, along with a personal message or request for support of the fundraiser is another great way to contribute to the campaigner’s project.
- Once you donate, it is encouraged that you share the campaign page with your own networks, to help the campaigner reach a broader audience. Extended networks are also more likely to donate if they see the name of someone from their inner circle has already contributed.
- Within each campaign page and Updates section, there are social sharing tools that have been provided for you to easily send the page link, out to your own group of family and friends.
- A major goal at FundMyTravel, is to broaden the fundraiser’s network with these tools. This way, you can also help the traveler increase their chances of reaching the campaign goal mount, by spreading awareness of their campaign with a wider audience.
I have successfully donated but it does not show on the campaign page. Why?
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org containing the name of the fundraiser and their campaign title, as well as your transaction details, including the amount you have donated, the name listed with your donation, the date and time of your transaction. The FundMyTravel team will investigate the matter immediately and respond with your resolution as soon as possible.
I donated to a fundraising page that has been cancelled, now what?
- In the case that a fundraiser needs to cancel their campaign after it has already received donations, FundMyTravel sends out a notification to all of their donors, which informs them about the cancellation and refunding process.
- Since funds are processed and transferred in real-time, they are already within the campaigner’s possession, so it becomes their responsibility to handle the refunding process.
- FundMyTravel will support and provide the campaigner with any details they need to execute these refunds appropriately, less the non-refundable processing and administrative fees, but all communications between the campaigner and donor, regarding the refunds will exclude FundMyTravel.
- For more information about refund processes, campaign cancellation policies and/or processing and administrative fees associated with the use of FundMyTravel, be sure to review our Terms of Service.